This competition is open to high school students in the U.S. (Guidelines are listed below)
Cash prizes awarded!
The 2020 Essay Theme: BE BRAVE. CHANGE THE GAME.
- Entrants must be high school students in the US.
- All entries must be received by the contest deadline to be considered. Deadline for the 2020 NHPW Essay Contest is midnight, May 31st, 2020.
- Entries must follow the contest guidelines in terms of length, adherence to theme/topic, and portrayal of an anti-hazing stance.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
- Essays become the property of HPO and may be used in print, digital and web-based promotional materials by HPO and/or the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). If requested at the time of submission by the author, certain identifying details may be removed from the essay before it is published.
- Cash prizes will be awarded for the top three essays in the following amounts:
- 1st place $500
- 2nd place $250
- 3rd place $150
- In addition, one essay from each of the eight regional sections of the NFHS will be selected to receive Honorable Mention for that section. Each Honorable Mention will receive $50.
- Winners will be notified summer 2020. Checks and certificates will be mailed summer, 2020.
- The judging and selection process is at the sole discretion of HazingPrevention.Org and the judging committee(s) chosen for such purpose. Submissions may be disqualified for any reason the committee sees fit, and the selection process will remain confidential. Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- Entrants are responsible for complying with these guidelines.
- Open to US residents only.
Each essay contest entry must consist of the following required information plus a 500- to 600-word original essay, adhering to the theme “BE BRAVE. CHANGE THE GAME.” and submitted by May 31st, 2020.
- Entrant’s full name
- First and last name of the entrant’s parent/guardian
- Entrant’s surface mailing address
- Name of the high school the entrant attends
- High school city and state
- Entrant’s telephone number
- Entrant’s email address
- Select your section from the map below. You will need to enter your section number in the application.
Essays will be judged based upon the following criteria: adherence to theme, grammar/spelling, clarity of message, and creativity/uniqueness of message.
Essays should address the theme for National Hazing Prevention Week 2020: BE BRAVE. CHANGE THE GAME.