HazingPrevention.Org Position Description
Service to HPO
Marketing Specialists are assigned to the following four committees to carry out marketing activities for these HPO programs:
- Novak Institute for Hazing Prevention
- National Hazing Prevention Week
- Webinar Programs
- Awards & Essay Selection
Through effective communication and marketing strategy, Marketing Specialists will promote these programs to appropriate audiences, raise the profile of these programs, help meet the participation goals, and contribute to the overall success of these programs. As a result of this function, we have more successful programs. Having these programs helps HazingPrevention.Org to fulfill its mission of “Empowering people to prevent hazing in college and university student groups.”
- Help recruit additional members with skills in relevant areas to assist with marketing activities.
- Offer strategic guidance to the committee regarding marketing issues.
- Consistently adhere to the brand and identity of the HPO in all marketing activities.
- Utilize all marketing tools and channels including but not limited to HPO’s website, social media properties, digital communications, contact databases, print collateral materials and other visual communications.
- Utilize the program’s marketing toolkit while making recommendations for improvement and expansion of the toolkit.
- Make recommendations on current and future efforts to further develop the image, reputation and awareness of HPO through the activities of the committee.
- Maintain a report of marketing activities.
- Assist with other HPO marketing efforts as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
Marketing Specialists should have some or all of the following characteristics:
- Basic to advanced marketing experience, particularly to the collegiate and young adult markets;
- Strong writing skills;
- Experience with different forms of digital and print communication;
- An understanding of social networking sites and the effective use of other avenues for online marketing. This is extended beyond website to other media such as emails, digital flyers, online forums, podcasts and video;
- Experience with press and/or media relationship building;
- Experience with project management and committee support and maintenance.
Marketing Specialists will learn how to develop and implement marketing activities for a non-profit organization with a worldwide reach. These skills and lessons likely carry over into other organizations with which a person is affiliated.
Supervision & Support
The Executive Director of HPO and a professional marketing consultant provide supervision and support; however, the Marketing Specialist functions as a member of the specific committee to which he/she is assigned and reports to the Chair of that committee for all marketing activities undertaken on behalf of the committee. If the Executive Director or marketing consultant ask the Marketing Specialist for assistance with other HPO marketing efforts, the Specialist will report to the Executive Director and/or consultant.
Members are appointed for one calendar year. Members can expect to spend approximately 5-7 hours per month on the group’s activities. There may be some times of the year that are busier than others. Members will be asked to participate in quarterly conference calls with the committee chair as well as monthly email communication. Additional communication may be needed depending on the project load. Committee Members are encouraged to contribute financially to HPO as able. Donations can be made via www.hazingprevention.org. Members may be asked and are encouraged to attend and participate in HPO programs.
Marketing Specialists will report to the committee chair, which reports to the Board. The chair will develop an annual Project Plan (goals), and provide quarterly status reports.