HazingPrevention.Org Position Description
Service to HPO
Marketing Volunteers are assigned to selected committees to assist in the development and implementation of a marketing plan for four key areas:
- Novak Institute for Hazing Prevention
- National Hazing Prevention Week
- Webinar Programs
- Contests and Awards
Through effective communication and marketing strategy, Marketing Volunteers will assist HPO staff to promote these programs to appropriate audiences, raise the profile of these programs, help meet the participation goals, and contribute to the overall success of these programs. As a result, we have more successful programs. Having these programs helps HazingPrevention.Org to fulfill its mission to empower people to prevent hazing.
- Offer suggestions and guidance to HPO staff regarding marketing ideas.
- Assist staff to utilize all marketing tools and channels including but not limited to HPO’s website, social media properties, digital communications, contact databases, print collateral materials and other visual communications.
- Make recommendations on current and future efforts to further develop the image, reputation and awareness of HPO through the activities of the committee.
- Collect marketing materials, press information, and media examples during the assigned HPO program and develop a program marketing report.
- Assist with other HPO marketing efforts as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
Marketing Specialists should have some or all of the following characteristics:
- Basic to advanced marketing experience, particularly to the collegiate, young adult and adolescent markets;
- Strong writing skills;
- Experience with different forms of digital and print communication;
- An understanding of social networking sites and the effective use of other avenues for online marketing. This is extended beyond website to other media such as emails, digital flyers, online forums, podcasts and video;
- Experience with press and/or media relationship building;
- Experience with project management and committee support and maintenance.
Marketing volunteers will be involved with implementing marketing activities for a non-profit organization with a worldwide reach. These skills and lessons likely carry over into other organizations with which a person is affiliated.
Supervision & Support
The HPO Executive Director and staff will provide direction and support; however, the Marketing Volunteer functions as a member of the specific committee to which he/she is assigned and reports to the staff assigned to.
Training for HPO Committee positions is conducted annually each fall or as needed for new volunteers. Volunteer Coordinator will provide training through a required one-hour required volunteer training session. Staff will provide additional training specific to the position.
Volunteers are appointed for specific projects. Members can expect to spend approximately 5-7 hours per month on the group’s activities. There may be some times of the year that are busier than others. Members will be asked to participate in quarterly conference calls with the committee chair as well as monthly email communication. Additional communication may be needed depending on the project load. Committee Members are encouraged to contribute financially to HPO as able. Donations can be made via www.hazingprevention.org. Members may be asked and are encouraged to attend and participate in HPO programs.
Marketing Volunteers will report to HPO staff, which reports to the Board.